Tuesday 28 December 2010

Home alone

Spot's off to Glasgow today to see "TRON: Legacy" in 3D at the IMAX. So, seeing as everyone I'd thought about meeting up with in the west while he's there are away visiting family (I mean, at this time of year...) and the weather was rubbish, I'm left all alone at home (boo-hoo).

I'd like to see TRON, but I don't technically see in 3D. I have a severe astigmatism in one of my eyes, which means my brain effectively ignores the signal it gets from that eye. I do have a sense of depth and distance, but not in the conventional sense. Frankly, I have no idea how the brain works it all out, but it does. The only times I have issues is on steps with no contrast or low light levels (I think the shadows help work things out). It's odd, but I suppose I see how "normal" people would see with one eye closed.

I don't know any different, so it's no big deal. That is, of course, if the film makers, in their "wisdom" exclusively make 3D films. I won't be able to see another film at the cinema again, if that was the case. Somehow, I think 3D is the "new" novelty. It's been tried before and has failed before. People get headaches and travel sick watching them. Also, film makers haven't worked out how to really use 3D. Having a ball of light floating in front of the audiences' eyes may make a great visual effect, but does it add anything to the experience of cinema or the story of the film? To my mind, it's like some CGI. When it's used well and thought out, it works. When it's just used as it's cheaper than building a set, that usually shows through big style.

Anyway, it's amazing how much I have got done with Spot away. Perhaps I should arrange this more often!

1 comment:

  1. You were missed, I but I understand why.

    I think 2D films will be around for a good deal of time to come.

    I think there are so many cues for 3D vision, with stereoscopy being one (if a large one), to an extent those of us with dual eye vision probably rely more on it.

    The strength of prescription I have for glasses does inflict a high level of barrel distortion, so when I tried out contacts I noticed a big jump in the 3Dness of ordinary sight. Essentially to counter act my short sight, the lens bring everything closer, with a lot of warping from the edges. I even get chromatic aberrations due to the separating of the spectrum. Red or Blue LEDs in particular tend to shift out of place when I move my head.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!