Sunday 5 December 2010

Snow, snow, go away.

I'm getting pretty bored of the snow.

Of having to dig the car out of the snow


Of the icicles hanging from houses.



Of people moaning about the snow.

Of people panicking they may not get bread and milk, so buying so much no one else can get any.

Of having to wear numerous layers to venture outside, only to have to remove them all when I get indoors again.

But then I remember the fun.

Of Snow angels


Of falling over in the snow and it not hurting, just being really funny. As I laughed, it made getting up even harder, which only made me laugh more!

Of the community spirit of helping others dig their cars out of the snow, checking on elderly neighbours and, in some cases, even getting together to dig the village out of the snow.

Of the snow plough drivers who valiantly did go to work when I couldn't.

Of the care workers, nurses and doctors who still brave the weather so they can look after the ill, elderly and most vulnerable in our society. I salute them (and am dead proud of my Mum for being one of them!).

Even, the funeral directors, who found a way to give my friend's husband a dignified send off on the day the snow was so bad the Forth Road Bridge was closed.

It's amazing what can be achieved when a community works together. I think, generally, the snow has shown the general public do care about friend and stranger. And are willing to help others without credit or reward just for the sake of doing the right thing. Of putting others before ourselves and loving our neighbours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!