Tuesday 28 December 2010

Watchnight Address

I did the address at my home church's watchnight service. I was nervous about it. Watchnight is one service where many people will attend who only come to the watchnight service. Where there are people coming for a variety of reasons. Tradition, habit, visiting relatives in the area, being a member of that church. Whatever the reason, they are all seeking God and something away from the hustle and bustle of secular Christmas.

I knew I had to hit the right tone with my address. Inclusive, without being wishy-washy. To try to say something which everyone would understand, but wouldn't patronise any regular worshiper. I think I hit that balance.

It was a privilege to be allowed to take part, to such an extent, in the watchnight service. My minister obviously trusts me! Once I delivered the address, she told me it was really good. I thought it was, but it's reassuring to have it confirmed.

It seems, I have a gift writing addresses and sermons. Or perhaps I've just been lucky so far. I pray it's the former and I continue to be guided by the holy spirit to say the words God's people need to hear, when they need to hear them.

NB A watchnight service is a service held beginning shortly before midnight on Christmas eve while waiting (watching) for Christmas in Scotland.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!