Sunday 19 December 2010

My last Advent

Today was my home church's nativity play. Before the play, Spot and I had been asked if we'd like to be animals. We politely declined.

I wanted (and did) to sit at the back and enjoy the play. The first time I have done for years. Being a young church leader, I was always involved one way or another.

Just before the service started, I nipped to the loo. One of the costume designers (they are amazing!) asked why I wasn't taking part. My minister suggested I was being all "bah-humbug", to which I responded "no, I just want to sit at the back with the ordinary people and watch". "That'll be the last time, ever", she retorted.

"Precisely!" was my answer.

I know all to well, I will never again be able to fully take the back seat during advent and Christmas. It's been good, so far this advent, to do so. I have really enjoyed it and will cherish it, as it is also the last Christmas I will have at my home church.

Though at the watchnight service, I won't be taking a backseat. I am doing the address! No big deal, just one of the biggest events in the Christian calendar and the one service the year where anyone can be there. God wants me to be there. And I am humbled and honoured to obey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!