Friday 9 May 2014

What to wear - the (almost) 4 year on follow-up)

A few years ago, not long after being selected as a candidate for ministry, I wrote about 'What to wear' in that position. Because I'd deferred, I wasn't actually training at the time I wrote it, but it was part of things which were going around in my head at the time (none of which I remember, almost four years on).

Have my opinions changed about clothing? Yes and no. (Don't you just like decisiveness?!)

Yes, because I can really see how, depending on the context in which I may serve, how a cassock would be handy. I could roll up on my trike wearing cycling clothes (this is where I have to point out there will be no lycra in my cycling wardrobe - I am still recovering from seeing too many Lands End to John O'Groats cyclists' lycra last summer for my liking...), slip a cassock on and look all 'ministerial.' That's the theory at least!

And yes, because I do think there are times when people 'need' to see the minister as looking like one or at least be able to easily identify them. My supervisor at Highland Cathedral usually only wore a collar with his suit, when leading worship, but at baptisms he put the robes on. It wasn't that he was trying to be someone he wasn't, just he was serving the needs of those who were in the congregation for the baptism. Or, a retired minister I know of who wears his collar doing hospital visits, as he finds he can open doors which would be harder to push without. Again, because there are times when people need to see he is a minister, and it saves the hassle of having to explain who he is and why he's visiting someone.

But there's also a 'no' here, too. Though a collar can open doors, it may also close them, depending on people's perception (or relationship with) the church. I suppose it's about 'finding' what's right for a context - and what might work one month might not the next. But that would be in non-church situations.

And no because why is it being worn? I know there is sometimes an expectation probationer minsters wear a collar, if that's their supervisor's practise, to 'show' the congregation they are equals. Maybe it's just be, but 'clothes doth not maketh the man (or woman)' and I would suggests not being seen as an equal to the incumbent minister is (perhaps) their problem and wearing or not wearing some clothes won't change that. Besides. with the best will in the world, probationer ministers will never be the 'equals' to their supervisors, as the congregation did not have a choice in their placement and, until ordination, they cannot administer the sacraments.

Another 'no' is ministers in the early reformed kirk (can you tell I'm studying for a protestant Scotland exam?!) wore their 'ordinary' clothes, with a gown to show their educated status. So, if we are in keeping with 'good' reformed practise, why don't we just wear ordinary clothes? These days, having a degree level of education isn't that uncommon (in fact, almost all candidates already have a degree of some sort - or more). And there's a 'thing' (does it need to happen?) where outside the church (oh, and these days, sometimes on the website) is the minister's qualifications (or at least the letters after their name - I so often forget I technically have them, but in the scheme of things do not view them as important). So, why aren't ministers wearing what they'd 'normally' wear to church to lead worship? Yet, and this is where I could argue I am a bit of a hypocrite, I would turn up to be a bum on a pew in jeans and a top, but to lead worship I wear a suit and blouse (more like a shirt - no frills or bows or puffs). But it is work and I would want to be appropriately attired for it.

I suppose the bottom line, for me, if why a minister is wearing what they are wearing. If it's a 'I'm the minister and need to show that I am' in a very authoritarian, status driven sort of way, I think that if they need clothes to gain respect, well, I'll just leave it like that. I also know of a minister who was 'persuaded' by his session to wear a collar. Was that the 'right' reason to do it? I don't think so and, if you know me, you know I would have dug my heals in about that one.

Even without 'ministerial' clothes I have been regarded in a past placement and in other contexts as 'a minister.' Clothes don't do it, a call from God does. What we wear when following that call, I feel, should reflect the context in which we are serving and whom we are serving. And that will vary from person to person, parish to parish.

1 comment:

  1. Great post. I've been arguing about correct attire within the ministry for a long while now. I believe that it's the calling that's important and not the clothes. Granted I don't think it would be appropriate to lead worship in a pair of hot pants and boob tube (churches are far too cold lol) but I don't see the need for robes, suits, collars etc.
    We should be who we are, be authentic and that includes wearing what we normally wear.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!