Monday 14 October 2013

The Lord bless you and keep you

A couple of weeks ago I had the privilege of attending a friend's daughter's baptism. As with so many Church of Scotland baptisms, "The Lord Bless you and keep you" was sung by the congregation.

I like this tradition. The responsibility of teaching a person being baptised falls on the congregation, as well as the parents, in the Kirk's order. So, the blessing by the congregation, I believe, is a reflection of that intent. But, I know it threw others who had also been invited to the baptism. For some of them this either does not form part of their church tradition or they do not have a church connection.

So, is having this sung blessing being a bit partisan - we can work out that you're not in the Kirk because you don't know about this"? The way it just 'suddenly' happened at this baptism, that's certainly the impression those I have noted above had.

I wouldn't like to throw the baby out with the bath water (probably a bad phrase, when I'm reflecting on baptism), but I also don't like the idea of visitors feeling excluded in worship. Maybe there's a way of introducing the hymn, so not to patronise the 'regular' congregation, but let the visitors know why it's done (and allow them to look it up in the hymn book, if appropriate).

Definitely a balance I'll want to make when it's me offering the sacrament.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!