Tuesday 8 October 2013

Foodbanks - why we should be proud and ashamed

A few weeks ago, I was visiting the shop where Every little helps. At the time, the local foodbank was there, inviting people to donate some non-perishable food for the bank. Now, this is where my rants come in.

The supermarket allowed the foodbank to do this. It is, after all, great publicity. Though all the food is donated by members of the public, I suspect a spin will be put on it, which will benefit them. At least, these days, they also donate 30% of the value of the donations to the foodbank, so they don't make a profit from the donations.

How very generous. So, that gives an indication of their profit margin and only comes on the back of criticism levelled at them from members of the public (including my Mum) who realised they were taking the credit for the donations, where they had not made them and had the added bonus of making money too.

Then, there is the attitude of those making the donations. I know, maybe I shouldn't have a go, but I will. Why is it so much of what I have seen being donated is from stores value range? Now, don't get me wrong, there are some value products which are just as good as others - a tin of tomatoes is pretty much the same. But I get the impression there's an element of thinking 'they should be grateful for what they get.'

I am quite sure those who receive a food parcel are very grateful. But, consider this. They will have been embarrassed, humiliated and degraded by having to have gone cap-in-hand for it. Surely getting some nice stuff would be a bit less humiliating and not kicking someone when they are down? Or maybe it would be nice for the parents to be able to give their children a wee treat just for the three days while they get themselves back on their feet?

And lastly, for now. Most foodbanks are heavily supported by churches - through volunteers, driving their set-up, looking for funding, providing premises, etc, etc. It's where the church should be. And it's sharing the good news in actions of love and generosity, not preaching. But, we as the seventh wealthiest nation in the world should be ashamed people cannot afford to feed themselves.


2 comments:

  1. and maybe the widow's mite is also what is paying for a 'value' product... // or, buying 'value' products, you might be able to make the donation go a wee bit further? It could be both sacrificial and canny donations that are happening here, not just 'you should be grateful'....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fair enough - and I know there are people who are themselves struggling who do this. But I have been too many places where the latter attitude prevails; an attitude of it's their fault for not working (even though many getting help do work) or they should cook (which needs gas or electric), etc, etc.

      And, in general, I've seen the widow shelling out on better things then she'd buy herself. But maybe my experiences have clouded my judgement...

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!