Sunday 14 October 2012

Toughest so far

I knew before when I asked to do my third placement at Caledonia Kirk that it would be my most challenging placement yet, for many reasons, not least the worship being led by a praise band (!). Yet they are trying to be innovative with outreach in areas other churches may not be willing to venture.

Already I am seeing a very friendly, welcoming group of people. I know this isn't just because I am the 'student minister', as Spot attended on my first Sunday, but we arrived and sat separately and he was greeted both on the door and in the pew in a very friendly, graceful manner. In the main, most are coming across as very approachable and supportive of me, which will help as I go through this placement.

I am seeing a different theology from my own. I'm glad this has come at this stage in my training, as with both my own growth, academic study, personal and professional reflection and previous placements I am in a much better position to approach this placement than I would have been able to last year. I do not think I would have either had the maturity or self-assurance I have now to make the most of this placement.

Interestingly, in a recent conversation a colleague pointed out that when churches have 'theological issues' (lets just say Voldermort!), the people best placed to bridge the divide are those who have relationships across the broad spectrum of the church. When they said this, I did not think 'well, that's not me', rather I thought that if that's the path God's leading me, then bring it on. It won't be easy, but it will be very cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!