Monday 15 October 2012

Silence

I quite like a little bit of silence in a service. While at Highland Cathedral I became quite used to their inclusion of reflective silence in every service, to the point where I did not watch the clock or count in my head, but used the time to listen for God's voice.

So I miss it when it's not there. There seems to be a fear, almost, of silence at Caledonia Kirk. When it's offered, the music or speaking continues. Even before and after the service, music is played (I know some churches have music just before and after, but there's space in the service itself). A member mentioned it to me and I get the impression they did not like it.

I know with silence, especially when people aren't used to it, needs to be handled well - introduced, an appropriate length, built up over time, not over used. I also believe if I benefit from silence, I cannot be the only one. Our world is so full of noise, perhaps that's why we miss God's still small voice. Or, are we too frightened of what he might be saying to us?

1 comment:

  1. http://kirkcafe.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/silence.html

    I've got plans for this service, roughly based on a theme of Matthew 4:1-11. Veeeeeerrry rough so far. The silent part was the hardest bit to write.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!