Sunday 11 July 2010

Too many buildings?

My home church and 2 others nearby are holding joint services while their respective ministers are away. This makes finding pulpit supply easier, cuts down on bills and get us working together (gosh!).

Today, the service was held in my home church and was fairly well attended by the members of the other churches. This was heartening given holidays and some people won't worship away from "their" building. Consequently, the church was pretty full.

During the intimations, which were more a welcome to the other church members that anything else, the person doing the intimations commented how it was great to see so many people. I turned to the person behind me (a member of my congregation) and said "It does sort of prove there's too many churches" in this town. She did agree, but said to keep that quiet!

I'm coming to see less church buildings as a positive thing.



  • It shows some unity - so many churches were built due to one falling out or another.




  • It shows different congregations can work and grow and become a family together.




  • It shows a faithful commitment to God, rather than coming to church because it's the done thing. Not so long ago, as Spot's Gran would testify, if you didn't go to church you would loose your job. As you lived in a tied house, you lost the roof above your head (and your wife and children's too).




  • It shows the kirk is more concerned with bringing the kingdom of God to local, national and international communities, rather than clinging to bricks and mortar.



  • It is difficult. People are attached to buildings, rightly or wrongly. We have memories associated with them.

    Personally, I love the people of my church more than any building. Yes, it is where Spot and I were married, but my memories of that day aren't tied to the stone walls, but the people and events on the day. I would still have them no matter what happened to my church building.

    The church where I was baptised and attended until mid-teens is still a church, but is a Coptic church and has been since my home church was formed following the union of two churches. I still have to memories of that church and I still cherish and talk of them.

    Perhaps it is because people move about much more now than ever before. To new houses and towns. They need something which is constant. They need the church to be constant. The church is. They just need to learn they are the church. Not the building.

    "I am the church. You are the church. We are the church together."

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
    I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!