Sunday 19 April 2015

This stage in my journey

Airside is currently 'doing' (oh, that sounds really bad, doesn't it?) its stewardship season at the moment, which is focusing on talents. I've enjoyed being part of the planning and preparation for this, which began back in September, just after their 'money' season. The team who organise and promote stewardship at Airside are a hardworking, dedicated and fun group (boy, am I going to miss this congregation...).

There's a coffee morning next week, to for the congregation to come to and see what they can maybe offer, to help the church. Maybe for a one off, maybe for a year. I know, there has already been people coming forward, to help with things, as a result of hearing and reading about the stewardship campaign. Which is great.

Today, was the 'main' service, focusing on talents, how we are all gifted, all called, and all can do something. And it was well thought out and planned, which was reflected in the service.

What I wasn't expecting, was elements of it to freak me out. Some of the words of hymns, or prayers, or even looking around and realising what a great community there is at Airside. Mainly, it was comments about gifts - unearthing them, trying something, taking the risk to see if that's where God is calling you at the moment - all not directly intended for me, but just were.

I'm so conscious of how much I've grown in faith and experience and trust in God during my time (so far) at Airside. I have unearthed gifts I didn't know I had (and they can only be from God, because how else do you explain someone who's musically inept, who can't read music and who can't sing, being good at choosing the 'right' hymns, not just for today, but 99.9% of the time? And that's just one example). As my trust of God has deepened, I have felt better able to have confidence in my abilities. All just goes to show how getting the 'right' probation placement was worth it.

And, if you've been with me from the start, you'll know the route has been the long-way-round. If things had gone smoothly, I may have been an ordained minister for over a year by now. But all the waiting and difficulties have allowed me to understand who I am and accept God's calling. Really accept it. Besides, if I'd have a smooth run, I wouldn't have got to do my probation at Airside, and I know this is exactly where I have needed to be for this stage in my journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!