Monday 28 July 2014

Sermon and reading

It was an intense day yesterday, with my first preaching gig at Airside in the morning and helping (in a very small way) with a prayers for peace service in the evening.

This is the first time since Easter I'd preached and the first time in well over a year I was being assessed. Yes, I may have done it before, but not here. And not to this group of people.

My custom and practise is to only go to the pulpit at the end of the hymn immediately before. I know why many who preach go while it's still being sung, but it I'd get more worked up having a 'pause' before than just getting on with it. So far, this plan has worked. Yesterday, there was a technical problem which meant the hymn looked to have finished, but it didn't. Ne'er mind. Take deep breath and shrug it off.

I really do think that, for the first time at Airside, I preached well. There was a good theme running through the sermon and, off-script, I referred to (and expanded on) something Laura had mentioned in the children's address. I even managed to get the congregation to laugh (mainly by using the word 'minging'). So, they do have a sense of honour.

Saying that, I only referred to the first reading obliquely, as between choosing the readings and preparation my focus was on the gospel reading. I could have made a wee bit more of that when I drew in the children's address.

The feedback I've had so far has been overwhelmingly positive. People specifically coming to say how they enjoyed it, to thank me for it, to say how it had given them food for thought. And The Boss mentioned she'd been told this too. Oh dear, have I set myself up for a fall? Too good too soon, or are they being very generous because it's my first time? (This reaction is because I really, really struggle with praise).

One person did mention they wondered why I'd talked of hot cross buns and crumpets, as it didn't seem to fit, and they may have drifted off. Yes, this was one negative comment over many positive, but I don't think I should just dismiss it either.

Later in the day, there was a reflective prayers for peace service, with a high proportion of ministers present (this is actually ordained ministers, not including yours truly and him indoors!). The reading I had was Matthew 5:38-48. When I began, I did so at verse 43 and realised half a verse in. Rather than start again, I carried on to the end, then added verses 38-42 at the end. Given the way Laura's reflection and prayers went, to everyone but us, it probably looked intentional, though she must have been wondering what I was doing.

Will definitely be plenty for Laura and I to discuss at my next supervision meeting, that's for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!