Sunday 2 October 2011

The poor get poorer

While eating my breakfast this morning (the irony not being lost on me), I was reading an article about food poverty in the UK. Yes, in the UK. One of the wealthiest countries in the world, yet people the demand for food parcels is on the increase.

Reading this article, I was both lost for words and angry. Angry that a country which is so wealthy had so much poverty and inequality. And having the knowledge that the benefit changes the current UK government are enforcing will only increase poverty for those at the very bottom of the pile. Just so we, as a country, can reduce our debt. But at what cost? A cost too high for my liking, especially when the UK is the third biggest spender on military in the world. Is it just me or there something wrong with that image?

Read the articles and see what you think. Don't just take my word for it. And reflect, what can we do about this. As a Christian, I know I need to speak out against injustice and act to help those suffering poverty and exclusion. This is part of my actions, but I know I need to do more and I will try.

1 comment:

  1. Also our Army/Navy etc isn't that big. Look at the numbers we have compared to France or Germany and our size is not that great, but the cost is HUGE.

    I personally think we need to give up on our stupid attempts at playing with the big boys and get the bread and butter of the country fixed.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!