Saturday 8 October 2011

He changed the world


Following Steve Jobs' death, this video has been doing the rounds. Whether or not you like Apple products, there's little denying Apple have changed computing and music in ways barely imaginable even 10 years ago. But that's not why I posted this video. I was amazed by Mr Job's modesty and wise advise.

How often have things not worked out the way I would have wanted them at the time, but when I look back, they've worked out perfectly? Too many times to recall. How often did I get up to colour in of a morning and, if I'd asked the question "Is what you are going today what you want to do?", I would have said no? Too many times to recall. Yet it was that yearning to do something worthwhile which eventually forced me to follow my call.

And here I am , living the dream so to speak. Using technology which was begun by Apple, in Steve Jobs' parent's garage. All the dots connect all over the world in brilliant ways. Now, if that isn't the work of God, then it's just coincidence. But I don't believe in coincidence.

2 comments:

  1. I hate to be a pedant (actually, no I don't), but Apple didn't invent 'technology' - either internet technology or even graphical user interface technology. Have a read at what Xerox PARC were doing long before Apple appeared.
    I really dislike this elevation of Jobs to patron saint of technology (and I'm sorry it's here I'm now venting) but to credit Jobs and Apple with every great techie product that has ever been is disrespectful to those folks who genuinely pioneered technology.
    Other than in usability, Apple have never 'set the trend' in functionality. Their products have never been as functionally capable as their competitors.
    The dream they sell is that you can pay more for 'exclusivity' and get less functionality, because that's good enough. Apple corp operate a walled-garden approach to their technology which inhibits competition and their litigious nature also stifles true competition.
    And I dislike how he seems to have been turned into some sort of 'guru' and that his wisdom is now to be sought. I very much admire that he followed his dream, but he is not the first to have done so, nor the most charismatic.
    Sorry for venting, but this was one Jobs 'canonising' rather than eulogising too many. Feel free to not publish it as you see fit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John

    Fair enough and I agree/know most of what you discuss. Most of Apple's innovation was, to quote Newton, from "standing on the shoulders of giants". However, it is also arguable that Apple took the stuff others invested and put it together in a way which opened up the technology to others. Just taking smart phones as an example, I wonder if they would be where they were if the iphone hadn't forced other manufactures to up their game?
    And I say this an a very anti-buying any Apple products, as there are better, with more functionality on the market (and they support flash too!).
    Sorry if you felt this was canonising Jobs, not what I intended. What was said just resonated with me, though I wouldn't advocate dropping out of uni to be successful. Still don't think I would have liked to work for him, though.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!