Thursday 26 November 2009

Service preperation

I'm currently preparing for the third Sunday in Advent, as I am leading the whole service. I've chosen the hymns and readings. I thought that would be quite straightforward, but my assessor has knocked back 2 hymns as they are being used on other Sunday's in advent.

I amended the order of service to take this into account let my assessor have a copy. Not a hassle, that's part of the reason I let her have a look at my order of service so early. But, I was annoyed today when the substituted hymn was also rejected for similar reasons. I'm not telepathic. I think when I go over the order of service with my assessor on Sunday I'll diplomatically say something along the lines of "do you have a list of which hymns/carols are being used over the advent/Christmas period, so my choices don't clash?".

At least there's still plenty time to make amendments, though I have to admit, it feels more like I'm fitting into my assessor's way of doing things. that said, this is only my second ever complete service and I'm only in my CFA. I know I'll have to get used to this and it sounds as though I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill, but I just needed to get it off my chest. It's still a privilege to be working with my assessor and learning from her.

2 comments:

  1. I'd get used to it if I were you. You quickly realise that whatever hymns you choose aren't necessarily known by the congregation, or they've done them recently, or they're going to be used in a forthcoming service or whatever. It's part and parcel of working somewhere that isn't your 'own place'. I always make up a list of 'substitutes' when I'm putting together my hymn selection as I know that it is a dead cert that at least one or two will need changed.
    It's also one of these church 'minefield' areas where the organist/pianist often holds undue influence. However, they are often the ones who know what the congregation can and can't deal with and no amount of pleading that "the words are ideal" will get you anywhere.
    Worst thing is choosing a hymn then discovering that the tune they know isn't the one you know. Just don't start off by belting it out.
    And, with all due respect, fitting in to your supervisor's way of doing things is exactly what you will be doing for the next wee while. Worship is, after all, their responsibility and they're not obliged to keep you informed with every little thing they might be thinking of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know John, I know. And I appreciate my assessor has plenty of other things to think about/deal with over and above this.

    As I said, at least there's plenty time.

    All part of the learning and humbling process I am going through.

    Still needed to get it off my chest, though!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!