Sunday 27 September 2009

Causeway Prospects

My placement hold a Causeway Prospects once a month and I went along to one yesterday.

What a warm, welcoming, inclusive service. I really loved being part of it an worshiping God with all those there.

There were around 30 people with varying degrees of learning disabilities, plus their carers and the team in my placement church which helps with the service.

Tea and coffee is served to begin with. Once guy was sitting alone, so I asked if it was okay if I joined him. He didn't. I introduced myself and that was about it. I just sat with him and he seemed happy and comfortable with that.

After tea there was a short act of worship. This, for want of a better phrase, was a bit like the beginning of a "normal" service, while the children are there. In the middle a craft, in keeping with the theme, is done. This allows everyone to be involved, no matter their need or ability. I loved this attitude. I helped during this and really got a lot out of it. Everyone, and I do mean everyone - from the minister to the least able person - was involved, taking in the message and enjoying it.

To end the service, the whole congregation lines up and the start of the line snake to the end and shares the peace with everyone. Although most people there didn't know me, I was still very much included. No one if left out. It's that exactly what church is about?

I wish I'd been warned of the lunch after the service! If I had I would have had a much smaller lunch. This was a time of fellowship for all. It seemed, and my assessor confirmed this today, the carers get as much from the service and fellowship as their dependants.

From what I saw I now this all presbyteries should have something lie this. My assessor has been trying to persuade 121 to let her talk to ministry trainees about this ministry for a while and finally had that opportunity in Friday. I know there is much for them to take on board, but if only a small number do something about it, so many more people with learning disabilities, and their families, can be involved in worship.

2 comments:

  1. "let her talk to ministry trainees about this ministry for a while and finally had that opportunity in Friday"

    She did - and it was very moving and thought provoking. If nothing else, it heightened our awareness of some of the issues involved in worship and people with learning disabilities, as well as the impact on their carers.

    You can let your assessor know that I for one greatly appreciated it and for me was one of the highlights of the conference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. CB - I'm just wondering how I get into conversation a probationary I know, but whos name I don't know, got so much out of her talk. I'm sure she'd really appreciate she's made such an impact.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!