Tuesday 16 June 2009

For Everyone

While doing my first placement, I was asked to read Mark for Everyone by Tom Wright. I found this a useful book - the translation was true to the original Greek (or as true as can be), with good commentaries, written in a style I could relate to and draw on.

While writing my first sermon, I found the commentary a very helpful starting point, so for my second sermon I bought Acts and John for everyone, to get me started and as another resource. Again, I found Tom Wright's style helpful, though not without its challenges.

I have now read both parts of Acts and John. Although over the years I have read most of the bible, with some of it many times, I hadn't really "got" parts, especially John, until I read these. I think I may build up my collection of the "for Everyone" series. I've found it makes the bible more accessible as I'm not just reading it, but having it explained and put in context too. I am also being challenged by some of what Tom Wright says. I think that is useful for my growth both in faith and in examining my calling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!