Wednesday 1 April 2015

The Ripple Effects

Oh, I have been somewhat neglectful of this over the last few weeks (months?). As I get further and further into ministry, I realise there is less and less I feel I can post in a public forum, even in an anonymous blog like this.

So, what's been happening? Quite a lot. Spot and I managed a wee break a couple of weeks ago, getting away for our anniversary for the first time in since I began training. We won't get used to us, as it's on Palm Sunday next year. God willing, we'll both be ordained by them, and that's not a Sunday we can take off, is it.

But, there's nothing like a gentle, quiet beginning to being off work for a week. And I had nothing like it, but it was all my own fault, as I'd organised what was going on. Namely, The Easter Code (scroll down page to see what it's all about). I'd heard of it via Spot, who'd helped with it on his first placement, floated the idea with The Boss back at the end of January and was trusted to run/organise it. We invited all the P7s from both primaries in the parish (around 120 pupils all in) and they said yes, which was pretty impressive.

It was brilliant to be trusted to do this, to contact the schools, co-ordinate who did what (in background prep and leading on the day) and recruit the volunteers needed. (It's funny, the other places I know of which have run this have a chaplaincy team for a primary, due to the overlap in the catchment areas for the primaries, meaning straight away there may be 2-3 ministers available to take part. Not for Airside, where there is 1 church in town, with 1 minister and me!). It was well worth the effort, as the children really got a lot out of it, as did all of us from Airside Kirk who were involved.

The schools have also been really impressed, with one now asking if they can come to the church more often, to hear about other Christian festivals, baptisms etc. And, the people who helped run it are really keen on running it next year, and are looking to maybe run it's sister program, Bubblegum and Fluff, nearer Christmas. Oh, the ripple effects of my comment about perhaps it could be something Airside Kirk could run a little over 2 months ago!

Now, I'm in the midst (as with almost every minister) of services for Holy Week. But I'm loving it. Loving the chance to take time to worship God, to listen to his word afresh, to walk with Jesus to the cross and, once more, realise how much God loves me and his world.

I am so blessed to be in this place. I am so blessed to be called by God to ministry. I am just burstung with delight at the moment, even when things seem dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!