Sunday 4 December 2011

Learning by my mistakes

I always used to think I was okay at children's addresses. Still a work in progress, but (looking to the plant world for inspiration) good stock on which to grow and graft things. Now, I'm not too sure.

I've now lead the children's address at Eagleside twice now. There the children are primarily quite young, with a few older children (though I think they are all primary school aged). As with many churches, the numbers vary Sunday by Sunday, with the most I've seen in my time there being around 10.

This makes it quite challenging, along with me going in quite cold, as far as those children are concerned. Although I have been involved in worship most Sundays since beginning my placement, it has generally been after the children have left, so I am the weird woman talking to them once in a blue moon.

I usually try to used a physical object or a video clip to get things going. Hopefully that gets and holds their attention. From the body language both times, that seems to be the case, so that's positive. My problem, though, has been transferring from that illustration to the "God message", so to speak. That I'm struggling with and I wish I could get to the bottom of why.

I think it's a combination of not having full notes (don't want to just read to the children, but need somewhere to go from) and although I have it clear in my head (or at least I think I do) when those wee faces look at me, but don't speak I get in a tizz and fluster myself and don't make my point very clear. Perhaps, too, I'm trying to go too deep and am relying on the children having knowledge from their young church time they don't actually seem to have.

I think I need to keep it more simple. Today was about John  the Baptist and I think I should have just told a story about him and left it at that, rather than trying to link it to a "be excellent to each other" message. But then I don't want to patronise the children either. Mmmh, more practice needed me thinks.

On a positive note, a member of the congregation (who I think was a visitor) was asking how long it was since I had started training. I explained it Eagleside was my first placement and I'd been there 10 weeks. He thought I was doing very well for someone who was less than 3 months into my training. I thanked him kindly. I hadn't thought of it like that, and I was getting a bit overawed by all the stuff I'll need to experience before I (God willing) get my own charge. That gentleman's comments certainly put things in perspective and reminded me of a comment a good friend had made to me a few weeks back - "Don't beat yourself up too much. It's a lot to take in and it will be challenging, but that's why it's years of training and you know it's the right path for you". How true. And I need to learn and take heed of my own advise that we learn from our mistakes.

I hope this weakness can grow into a strength. Then the failures will have been the most beneficial.

3 comments:

  1. I've been interested following your story of growth and would like to say that you seem to have got it sussed. Training is specifically to give you the time to learn how to do things. The Childrens' or All Age talk is one of the most difficult bits. Sometimes it helps to involve the adults so that the children don't feel on the spot. Every Blessing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talking to children is probably the biggest challenge. It's made more difficult by the large age range.
    First issue is to get the language right and that may mean saying the same thing a couple of different ways, with one of those ways being very simple. If you keep it short (as in don't labour a point) and have a good mix of language, then you'll not come across as patronising to the older ones.
    Second, get the language right...
    (just to make the point)
    I've never scripted a children's talk. I know where I want to start and where I'd like to end up. Everything else is up for grabs and it means you can then work with any answers you are given. And sometimes you end up in a place you hadn't intended and that's fine.
    And that raises another big issue - how to finish. Make your point and stop! If you keep reiterating it and re-explaining it, you'll lose them. Make the point you want and call it quits. And if that's a point that's come out of the natural flow of interaction, then call it quits at that as well. Don't labour to get it back to the point you wanted to make. There'll be plenty of other times in the future to teach them the original message (well, when you're in your own place there will be).
    Telling stories is great. Read from a story book, even if it's your own script inside. Even better, adopt a storyteller character. A simple 'guise', such as putting on a scarf or a coat or a hat, can transform you into a new character who can tell the story.
    I take no credit for any of the above - all tips and tricks I've been given in recent years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanted to say "hello there"! I get quite a bit of traffic from your blog, so thank you! Best wishes on your continuing journey. I enjoy your writing all the way from the US Pacific NW! Jill at Hundreds of Hundreds.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!