Wednesday 14 December 2011

Hurt

I don't do X Factor. I think it's exploitative and degrading for the contestants. Among other things. But, now there's Top of the Pops, it's the place where the big stars in pop perform as it's really the only showcase there is (pop doesn't seem to understand the net...).

So, to my dismay I read Leona Lewis (about the only X Factor winner who still has a career - Susan Boyle didn't win!) was covering Nine Inch Nails' "Hurt". Made worse by the fact it's not a new interpretation or re-hash of the original, but a cover of a cover. The cover being the one by Johnny Cash. A cover regarded as so good (and so moving) even Trent Reznor - the writer - regards as the definitive version and no loner his.


So, just because I can, I am a fan of the Man in Black and as two fingers to X factor I will be buying Johnny Cash's version as part of the campaign to get it to get it to number one (rather than the X factor winners or Leona Lewis' version).



3 comments:

  1. And SuBo wasn't on the X Factor - she was on Britain's Got Talent!

    Covers are ridiculous - I felt the same about Leona doing Snow Patrol's Run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Man in Black... legend. Love this version. You demonstrate impeccable taste, Mrs G :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gary - oops, shows how much I know.

    Nik - well, love of God, Spotthegerbil and Johnny Cash. My taste goes without saying ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!