Friday 8 January 2010

Local Review

Yesterday's local review went well. Just as Wednesday, I wasn't that nervous and very much felt God was upholding and supporting me during it.

Most of the questions were different, yet the same (if that makes sense) from last time. I answered as honestly and fully as I could. There was one point where I was being a little vague, I suppose. I didn’t explain the background to an example well. My local assessor added questions during that part of the interview so the panel really knew what I was meaning. I really appreciated that as she obviously wanted me to do well.

The only question which slightly threw me, as I'd never thought of it before, was how do I deal with apathy? Again, especially being put on-the-spot, I gave my answer. I wasn't sure if it was okay, but the national assessor told me "there's no right answer to this - if there was I'd be writing yours down and using it". With that I very much got the impression the question was more intended to see if I'd be thrown.

At the end of the review I was told the panel would make their decision after I'd left and I would get the outcome and report, hopefully, within 7 days. I was also told there might be a delay as the national assessor has no e-mail access due to no manse heating. That was understandable, given the weather. Also, I wasn't too bothered having to wait - I'd worked hard to get to this stage and there was nothing I could do to alter the outcome. Another couple of days wait wouldn't make any difference.

An hour after my review the bus to the panto was leaving my placement church, so I just made a cup of tea and read a book while I was waiting. I'd just popped out to my car to get something from it and my local assessor was looking for me. The ministries support officer needed to see me. Right, I thought, she just wants to check my contact details…

No - given the possible delay getting the panel's decision out to me, she told me there and then its decision. They have decided I am suitable to attend a selection conference! I was so happy I could have kissed my local assessor.

So, God is with me - it is His call, not mine or others. Well, at least the local review panel think so. I'll get my selection conference date with my full review report. It will be interesting to see what has been said.

Now, I wonder what I do with myself in the meantime?

6 comments:

  1. That's great news.
    In the meantime you can start learning how to build bridges out of tinfoil and card or drop eggs from head height without them breaking.
    If you do have any questions or concerns, and if you think I can help, you know where to find me.
    God willing, we'll maybe see you at the August candidates' conference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huzzah, another bridge crossed [this one not made of tin-foil - tsk, John!!]
    Onward to conference.
    Top tips -
    just be you - there are no right answers, they are not looking for an already fully-formed minister, they are looking for your potential to be a minister.

    Listen, really, really, really listen to folks in your group activities [what are they saying but what are they actually meaning - is there a difference?]
    and when you're facilitating the session [if they still ask you to do this with your particular pre-chosen topic of discussion] make sure everyone has a chance to participate. Relax if your intended outcome isn't looking as if it's gonna happen, lol.

    The group exercises [bridges out of tinfoil notwithstanding] are all about seeing how you work with people - how you demonstrate both leadership and listening skills, and how you deal with potential areas of conflict within the group. So team player and yet able to demonstrate assertive/ leadership skills.

    Church interview part of the conference:
    might be good to bone up on your thoughts/ reflections about sacraments - baptism and communion. Would you baptise anyone who presents themselves/ family/ child for baptism... if so, why... if not, why not? And check out Acts of Assembly on the rooolz regarding baptism. Would you baptise someone who has already been baptised [no, no and again no... but for example, you might find some creative ritual to help them recognise the grace of God at the point of their baptism when they originally had it]?
    Oh, and you might be asked: if you're not selected, what will you do? Don't as one friend said, jokingly 'I'll kill myself'... really, don't!

    But the most important things - take along a copy of the Beano or some such usefull silliness and read before bed, don't get too stressed out by the thought of the whole conference and enjoy it - it is possible y'know.
    You are not competing against the others - you might all be selected, you might all not be selected... in this way it is not like a job interview where there's only one job to go for, so in a way it really takes pressure off you quite nicely.
    In the end, whatever the outcome, God calls you, and all of us in different ways, at different times and in different places to be his people - we are the called people of God after all. Basically rest in the knowledge that God's got your back, mate.
    On a personal note, I had a brilliant time at conference, it was a great experience. I enjoyed meeting folks and very much enjoyed the challenges put before me - plus ginger beer, chocolate and the Beano kept me grounded quite nicely. And I left knowing whatever the outcome I was just myself... and that's all we can ever be and indeed is all that God calls us to be - truly ourselves in him. Go gurl and enjoy. Let us know when your conf. is... will be sending up prayers.
    And ditto with John... if you want to chuck some thoughts around, get in touch - John knows where to find me, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant! Throws hat in air! Enjoy it when it comes - I did mine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. John - I might just take you up on that offer when it comes.
    Nik - great advice again. Cheers.
    Building bridges from tin foil...I now know why I was a cub scout leader!
    Thanks for all your prayers and support guys. When I was having a bad time at my last placement there was many a time I nearly threw in the towel. It was the support and encouragement of you, along with many others, which made me carry on. God really is with me and the comments you have all left here I firmly believe is part of His support for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "drop eggs from head height without them breaking."

    They don't break if you keep them in the chicken. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey that's great news!!

    And my best advice (like Nik's) is be yourself - that's what the assessors want to see - glimpses of who you are and your potential for ministry (no one goes to selection conference as the finished article).

    Much to my surprise I enjoyed my conference... but when I arrived I was so nervous I could hardly breathe and I wondered what on earth I was doing there and why I was putting myself through such an ordeal! But then I meet the other enquirers and realised they were all as nervous as me - and I began to relax.

    Let us know your dates so we can pray for you :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!