Sunday 8 November 2009

We will remember them

I always find Remembrance Sunday a tough line to walk for the church, even though this is the first time I've ever been involved in worship during it. Jesus taught of peace, yet we commemorate and remember those who have (and are) fighting. I do feel we need to acknowledge their sacrifice, but, as Christians, work for peace.

As I mentioned here, I led the all prayers today - opening, thanksgiving and intercession, dedication and benediction. I was more nervous than I have been since I first started at my current placement. I know ever act of worship is special, but Remembrance Sunday is particularly poignant for many. There are members of the congregation who lost loved ones on WWII or even fought during it. Also, there were more visitors than normal at the second service - the service with the laying of the wreath and two minute silence. With all that in mind, and the news this morning of another British serviceman having died in Afghanistan, I knew emotions would be heightened and I wanted to ensure God's peace and love spoke to all who were worshiping, no matter their motives.

I think my prayers hit the right balance. I also have to admit I did my research (research being borrowing from many resources - plagiarism from one). Most of my prayers were adapted from the Book of common order and I adapted the intercession prayer available on the Churches Together in Britain and Ireland website. I didn't use the response during the intercession prayer, as I didn't feel it was appropriate for the setting.

I always try when leading worship to put some feeling into my voice, so it doesn't sound as though I'm reading off a shopping list and today was no different. I feel this can be helpful to emphasise a point or just inject a little care and concern into what I am saying. I haven't been too sure if that was actually coming across to the congregation, but after the service a member of the congregation mentioned how good a voice I have and how she appreciated how I "put a bit of feeling into what you say". That was a real boast, as it is being picked up by others.

As a little aside, I usually wear jeans and a top to church, even when leading worship. Today I wrote my suit jacket - partly out of respect for the gravitas of the service and partly to give me somewhere to wear my poppy. My assessor didn't wear a poppy. I didn't mention this, but was a little surprised. For me the poppy is a symbol of honouring the dead on all sides and hoping for peace. Peace which lasts forever and bring love, compassion and justice to the whole world. The peace which comes from God and Jesus calls me to help bring to others through my words, deeds and actions.

4 comments:

  1. re: wearing a poppy - at the Probationers' Conference this came up! So we were advised to keep a poppy in the vestry. I was super organised and put mine on my suit jacket last night. This morning, I noticed a stash of poppies in the vestry - good, thought I, he's been to the same course as me.

    Then we began. In the middle of the children's talk, which was a double act talking about the poppy, he suddenly realised he hadn't put his on! A kind parishoner lent him hers. This was just one calamity in a service full of them. Hey ho!

    blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would keep a stash, but I think there still should be a choice to wear a poppy. Unfortunately, I think there's presure for those in the public eye (including ministers) to wear poppies. Is that right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Mrs Gerbil: I am a Legion chaplain at the Royal Canadian Legion in Nova Scotia Canada. I am a lay person, retired Military member of 35 years. Today we stopped and gave Remembrance to our war veterans of which I was to take part. I was in a quandry for what to use for the Intercessary Prayer. I came across the one you linked to in your blog. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rick and thanks for stopping by.

    I'm glad you found the prayer of use, so did I. I felt it stuck the right balance.

    All the best
    Mrs G.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!