Thursday 15 March 2012

Into School

Yesterday, I visited one of the schools my supervisor is chaplain to. I generally observed the teacher giving the RME (religious and moral education - took me ages to work out what the M stood for!). I did have to explain a bit about the bible - especially the Old and New Testament. I think I did so reasonably well, as the children seemed satisfied with the answer (and were open to asking me questions; at least some of them). I suppose my experience of teaching young church and leading a youth club helped with this.

One child did ask something I didn't know why it had happened. And I did say so. Perhaps I should have phrased it a bit better - perhaps asked why they thought it might have happened, but I also think it's good to not think I do have all the answers. Definitely need to find the right balance with that.

Once the teacher had taught their section, I sat with and helped a small group of the children with the remainder of the lesson. As that was sort of a young church-sized group, with the class room assistant, it was fine. I hope they got the sense that I cared. As a representative of the church, I think that's really important that those who the church cannot reach in 'traditional' ways (i.e. them going to the church) see Christians as interested and concerned in their lives. And why do I think that? Because the children asked if I would be going to their Easter service. They'd only just met me too.

I'm looking forward to going again. A good, positive experiencece all round, I think. Definitely something I can, and will, build on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!