Tuesday 2 December 2008

Stepping out of the boat

As part of my co-ordinated field assessment I have been asked to do some reading of Christian literature. I don't know about a lot of people, but I must admit this fills me a little with dread. I remember when I was 15 or 16 reading some Christian based books, at a time when my Mum was really ill and God felt very distant. I was reading those books for a little bit of guidance and encouragement. The tone of many of them was - the Lord will provide (how?); oh yeah of little faith, do not doubt the plans of the Lord etc - they just made me feel inadequate and that pretty much put me off.

One of the authors I was recommended is John Ortberg. Online, I had read reviews of his books and all the reviews seemed very good (but not happy-clappy). I borrowed "If you want to walk on water, you've got to get out of the boat". A bit of a long title, but never mind.

The premise of the book was everyone has a calling. It may be small (such as having a healthy relationship with your spouse) or big (like head of the UN). But, in order to reach that calling and reach out for God you have to get over whatever is holding you back. Like Peter during the storm, it was all about asking for a command to get out of the boat and walk on the water with Jesus.

What a great writer Ortberg is. He spoke in terms I understand and in a totally could relate to and understand. He likened the boat that Peter stepped out of to the fear that holds back everyone from stepping out in faith to follow God's path for them. Basically, their comfort zone. It may be fear of leaving a bad relationship in case you become lonely; fear of leaving a job in case you can't pay the mortgage; fear of trying in case you're mocked or aren't good enough. For me, I'd say my boat has been getting my calling totally wrong and the financial security I've finally achieved.

The other thing I really liked about Ortberg's style was he'd give examples from his own life when he didn't walk on water or tried to avoid it. I could relate to that and didn't feel he was a "prefect" Christian and I would feel there was no way I could live up to him.

I really enjoyed the book and would recommend it to anyone thinking what God's call is for them. It doesn't have all the answers, but is a great place to start. I found it reassuring - fear and doubt are all part of the calling. What I have felt (do feel) is normal - oh so unusual for me!!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi there,
    I found your blog after following some search terms that led to mine. I was accepted as a candidate earlier this year and can very much relate to your posts.
    Ortberg's book was one that was instrumental in encouraging me to take those first tentative steps out of the boat. It ended up causing a bigger 'splash' than I anticipated but, like Peter, I discovered that Jesus was there to steady me and here I am.
    I do hope your placement is an encouragement to you and I look forward to hearing how you get on.
    Blessings,
    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Ortberg and like John his book was very useful to me when I was exploring my call. Another good one is "Everyone's normal till you get to know them" (he doesn't always go for a snappy title!!) I love his retellings of Biblical stories and have used a couple from this book as the basis for sermons. And actually after reading some of your posts on how you perceive yourself and your comments about how God uses us despite our flaws... I really think you would like this book.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!