Friday 18 May 2012

Branding

There seems to be a lot of branding of church activities these days. There's Messy Church, Alpha, Exploring Christianity etc (those are just the 'obvious' ones off the top of my head.

Now, I can see the advantages. They are recognised and know outwith the church by people who maybe want to find out more, but would feel out of place just turning up at a church (that's another argument altogether). They are ecumenical. They are getting the message of the gospel to people who may not encounter it in new and innovative ways.

But, does there need to be a brand? I see the people behind Messy Church have a 'hands-off' philosophy, so it can be adapted and used in the way churches want to, but the brand is recognisable. Great, so long as it stays that way.

But other courses (which may or may not be mentioned above) have very strict rules about how the name and materials can be used. It cannot be adapted for local need, which seems a bit silly. The history of Christianity shows it can and does get contextualised.

I just don't think I like the idea of branding, where it is that. Why else control how the image and name is used?

And do we really need a brand to tell people about God and lead them to a relationship with Jesus? To me this all seems to be playing into society's obsession with branding and the church shouldn't be part of that.

I wish there was a straightforward answer, but I know Eagleside ran a 'Introduction of Christianity'-type program which was designed and lead by the minister and a neighbouring colleague. On the back of it 2 people joined Eagleside and one made a renewed commitment. No branding, no marketing, no real preaching. Just talking and sharing stories about faith and God and Jesus. So, it can be done.

But then I think the Kirk, the Church of Scotland, in some ways is a brand. But it is diverse and broad. It adapts to the needs of its congregations and parishes throughout Scotland. So, the 'brand' is used well. And I think that's the rub. Is a brand a help or hindrance to local churches? That should be the measure of its usefulness IMHO.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!