Monday 27 October 2014

Not feeling guilty

It's been a quiet week this past week. The Boss has been in holiday (following my week off - could look like we've been avoiding each other!) and, with it being the school holidays, some of the activities in the church and parish haven't been on.

As a consequence, though I have, when I list it, done a reasonable amount (hospital and pastoral visits; attend a couple of funerals; go to a fund raising concert; Presbytery committee meeting; prepare Sunday worship; coffee morning etc), I haven't been too pressed for time, I haven't bust a gut to 'prove' I am busy. And I don't feel guilty about it at all.

As The Boss has pointed out, until Boxing Day, things are going to be very busy. So, when I have the chance to take it a little easier (and it's not just because Laura wasn't around), I have. I know I like to be busy, but also need time, now and again. It's a balance, and one which isn't always easy to get right (or even achieve). But I know it's one I need to strike, so I don't burn out once I am a real minister.

I suppose it's easy to feel I (or, indeed, any minister) need to fill my diary to 'justify' myself. To prove I am serving God, the church and the parish. But, if I work 60, 70+ hours a week, week in week out, I will get tired, ineffective and no longer be able to serve.

I know there are times when that level of workload will have to be done, but it's not sustainable, not for me anyway. I need time to spend with those who are important to me. I need time to spend with God, and if I don't do that, I get spiritually, emotionally and physically tired. Then, what use am I to those I am called to serve?

So, a 'quiet' week, but I am not going to feel guilty about it. God knows, I needed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!