Sunday 26 October 2014

Defer, without deferring

There are many things (most) ministers defer responsibility to others to carry out. Be it teaching children (by having Sunday School, or whatever we're calling it this week), maintaining the congregational roll or managing church bookings. One way or another, these (and other things) are the responsibility of the minister.

Yes, there is a difference between responsibility and actually having to make sure it's done. While I was at uni, I was exempt from Council Tax, so full responsibility for that fell on Spot's shoulders. But, 6-7 times out of 10, it would likely be me making sure it got paid. (Okay, so not a church example, but work with me here).

I wonder, though, what happens when people who have taken on that responsibility don't do it as 'expected.' Perhaps music is offered for an event, not used, but that which is used doesn't tie in with the theme of the even. Or, the teaching of the children doesn't fit with their age group or stage in their faith journey or with the 'ethos' of the church.

I suppose, what I am getting it is how to defer responsibility, getting others in the congregation to use their gifts and skills )and lets face it, they may well be much better placed to do some things,  than the minister, for a whole load of reasons) while encouraging and supporting them, but 'correcting' (I know, not really the right word, but I hope you know what I mean!) if necessary.

There's the obvious - preaching. Maybe the right word at the right time. And, picking the 'battles' or working out what matters and what's less 'important'. Oh, all these sort of questions that I just wish were straightforward and black and white. Like most of ministry, so much shades of grey!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!