Wednesday 13 August 2014

Oh Boy

Boy, oh boy. First whole service since Easter and first in the 'new' place. Confidence and authority. Well, project that at least, 'cause need the congregation not to worry/panic for me and allow them to worship.

The service did come together, though my own self-crit would be that my welcome wasn't very well structured, the recurring theme was a little over used and I got a little lost in the middle of the sermon. The latter of those, was a combination of having a 9am Sunday morning realisation that some things in the news would fit really well with the message. I suppose the bonus was I did use it, but in hindsight (which is always 20:20) it would have worked better as an opening to the sermon. (So, God, it would be really nice if you could give me a bit more than half an hour heads-up - I am only learning!).

The good thing is (well, I see this as good), that the things The Boss picked up on were pretty much the same. So, they're making a reflective practitioner out of me, it seems!

I know I am being hard on myself, but I know I can and should do better. Yet, Laura sees these as tweaks to my presentation - and much of this will come with experience she has reassured me. Maybe they are, but the welcome I so could have not blown.

The interesting thing is, as I am learning, what Laura and I pick up on and what matters to the congregation can be very different. After the service (actually, when I was at the door) I had that sudden realisation that I hadn't specifically welcomed any visitors, even though I knew there were some. I mentioned this to someone from my support group, who told me my way with people and personality would make them feel welcome, even if I didn't do so specifically. She's maybe right, but I wonder what the visitors would have thought?

Talking of my support group. Well, before the beginning of July, I didn't know these existed for probationers. Yes, it's one more meeting, but it strikes me as a really good idea at this stage, because the congregation has a different take on what I'll do to The Boss. That I am seeing, but this isn't a bad thing, but it helps have the different prospectives from this group - who seem to be exactly the right people for, not only this task, but for me too!

The initial meeting was a little odd, as I knew some of the group, but not all. And they really are  taking seriously their role to support me. Which is lovely. I think they see this group as a feedback group, but also as a way to support me - maybe bounce ideas off them (she says hopefully!).

Their take on the last few weeks was interesting. I have integrated into the church so well, it's almost like I've been there for years, rather than 4 weeks. At meetings I attended so far I didn't sit as a passive observer, but have contributed good ideas and support to them. They like the pauses in my prayers between 'sections', as they allow 'thinking space.' In the whole service, they liked the recurring theme in the prayers, children's talk, hymns and sermon - it all linked together. One person said they not only really liked the structure and content of my prayers, but that the wording was inclusive and sounded like we were talking to a friend, which the others agreed with (wow - given my reluctance to write my own prayers, this was good to hear, but hugely humbling as I know it is not in  my own strength I write them.)

They were paying attention to what I have been doing and weren't just being nice. Someone mentioned they didn't know the first two hymns - which others agreed with. From what I can gather, they had been used at Airside before, but maybe not often. It wasn't seen as a major problem, as they did also say that the words linked with the service and they picked them up. The 'lesson' for me is how to establish how well known hymns are to any congregation - which I don't think is very straightforward.

I was also asked about the Lord's prayer, which I got a wee bit wrong the other Sunday. I did explain it - along with my thoughts on praying with the congregation at that point - and it was fine, but at least they are commenting on these things, asking the questions.

It was suggested I use a prop for children's talks, but that for Sunday's one, it wasn't needed. Fair enough, as I know the visual can make it easier for wee ones especially to process.

And that was about it. The 'bad' welcome, the slight lack of flow in the sermon, the 'over egging' the theme were not seen that way through their eyes. Just shows how important this group can be. Will be interesting to see how things develop, as we learn from each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!