Thursday 23 September 2010

Back to study

A few weeks ago, I posted regarding Edinburgh uni's requirement for me to gain at least 40 university credits. This can be read here. Edinburgh has a centre for lifelong learning, where I could have studied the required number of credits, the timing of the courses were such that I just couldn't fit them in with work. So, I will be studying with Aberdeen uni's CLL. They have the option of allowing students to undertake distance study.

This term, I will be studying New Testament Greek and Mark's gospel. I hope they will be interesting...I'm sure they will be. I've been told Greek, once you learn the alphabet, is much like Latin, which I have studied and really enjoyed. Unfortunately, I have forgotten much of it as it is 18 years since I did study it!!! It's funny, when it was first suggested I could study Greek, I thought "but that's why we have translations". Then, in the middle of August I was chatting to an American friend and called her a clart. I then had to explain what it meant. Like many Scots words, it's not that easy to translate. At that point I had the revolution learning biblical Greek may not be that bad an idea.

Naturally, Mark's gospel is going to be interesting and useful for my future career. Somehow, me thinks, I might just use Mark's gospel on a fairly regular basis.

So, my classes start on Monday evening. I'm looking forward to it. It'll also give me a more gentle start to study than no study for 11 years then straight to uni full time. I also hope, having some credits already will take a little of the pressure off me at the start of uni full-time next year. Maybe not, but I can always hope!

1 comment:

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!