Sunday 17 August 2014

Where to pray the Lord's Prayer?

Where should be Lord's prayer be in a service? Does it need to go in every week? Should the minister lead it or pray with the congregation?

These are questions in my head - and have been for a while. The first, because (and I only discovered this last week) it 'normally' is included with the thanksgiving and intercession prayer, which comes after the sermon. I 'usually' include it in approach and confession, which comes after the first hymn.

I haven't had a chance to discuss this at supervision yet, but the question(s) arose on the back of my support group meeting and one of the AV guys asking where I would have it (as they put the words on the screen and there had been a bit of a panic the week before - oops!).

Personally, I prefer it in a prayer when the children are present. Yes, this is the summer, so the children are in for the whole service, but in a couple of weeks time that'll all change, as they head off for 'age specific' church following the children's address and hymn. If it's usually prayed after they have left, they may rarely, if ever hear it. I know some would say they won't understand, but (1) why wouldn't they? (2) do the adults really understand? and (3) how can you learn what you don't know?

And, in the Kirk 'tradition' (I use this word advisedly) there aren't prayers with are said together as a congregation and/or responses as the weekly norm. Inclusion of the Lord's prayer near the beginning allows the whole congregation to pray together. Children and adults (and lets not forget the adults who will go out to lead the children, who will miss this too). And the minister, if they pray with the congregation.

That's how I do it. Start off the Lord's prayer, then drop my voice to pray with rather than lead the congregation in prayer. With decent AV and words on the screen, I feel there is less need for the minister to lead the prayers. I like being part of the worshipping community and praying with them, even though I am up the front and still, to a degree, leading them in prayer. This was picked up on by my support group, but they were happy when I explained. A couple of people even said that's their preference - that the minister prays with the congregation.

But, does it need to be included as the default every week? Will people learn to say the words by rote but that's as far as it goes? Would being inconsistent in using it make people think about it more, or would it muddy the waters, as people get confused about when it is or isn't being used? I know I would rather include it every week, in the same way intimations, collection and benediction are included every week (among others). A regular pattern (oh, that'll be liturgy) can help people worship 'easier', as they think about what's being said or done, rather than what's coming next. It's also useful for those with either learning difficulties or dementia, as the familiar pattern is lodged in the long-term memory, so they too can worship together. Jumping around too much just confuses everyone, especially the most vulnerable in congregations, IMHO.

2 comments:

  1. I include it at the end of the first prayer (adoration/approach and confession), and usually 'signal' it by words which remind us that we are drawing together as one people, united with the church around the world, "and as a sign of that we say together..."
    Should it always be there? Personally, I think it makes sense there, or near the beginning, because it marks the drawing together of a people for worship. That said, it works well in an intercessory context too.
    There is a comfort for people in the familiarity of the routine (liturgy isn't actually the routine - it's the shape of any service, even a one-off). It can be a familiar point of engagement when life's worries make it difficult to focus on any other part of the service. So, I include it every week, but I don't always include it other services, such as our monthly evening service.
    Oh, and I always have it written in front of me (well, on my Kindle), because I have had that mental block that just makes the brain freeze and the words disappear (I disguised it as a tickle in the throat, and a cough, until my brain re-engaged)..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know of several anecdotal stories where people with learning difficulties enjoy church services as they follow a reliable pattern, and that can give them a peaceful time amongst a large group.Such people often find large groups a real challenge. X

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!