Tuesday 15 April 2014

Easter, without Holy Week

This being Holy Week and all that, it may be expected I am rather busy this week. Well, no actually. I 'only' have Easter Sunday worship to prepare and am not being involved in any other act of worship (except, perhaps, as a member of the congregation) during any other part of the week. Bliss. I am going to enjoy it while it lasts ! (So, that'll be till next year...).

Anyway, even if I do attend one or two Holy Week services, I may not be at all of them. I may 'miss' the crucifixion and head straight to the resurrection. Or, as I suspect may be the case with many in congregations up and down the country, I could go from Palm Sunday straight to Easter Sunday, without the pain of betrayal and the darkness of death in between. So, my plan (which is cunning and I hope works) is to have more of the week's story in each service.

On Palm Sunday, we had the triumphal entry, but also the woman anointing Jesus and Judas beginning his betrayal. On Easter Sunday, along with the triumph of Christ's resurrection, we will have his condemnation and death on the cross. It's perhaps not the 'normal' Easter Sunday pattern, but will give the congregation (especially those who haven't been able - for whatever reason - to make it to Holy Week services) an opportunity to journey through the whole story. As the resurrection could only happen because of the death. Without triumph over death, where is the joy and celebration of Easter.

That is my plan anyway. How it will actually pan out, especially on my last Sunday, I do not know. I do hope in the services (Palm and Easter Sunday) the congregations gained something about God, in some way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!