Thursday 10 May 2012

Reaching outwith the walls

So, on Sunday I went to the linkage of my home church. I know, I was looking for somewhere where I wouldn't be know, but they are the sort of people who are supportive and understanding that I was there to be rather than do. One of the many reasons I love those people.

So, rather than have to sit through the same service twice, while Spot was busy at our home church, I went for a bit of a walk and picked up the few odds and sorts we needed. Although the street was quietish, there were a reasonable number of people around and, as 12 o'clock approached, the numbers were growing. I suspect there were more people worshipping the god of retail between 11 and 12 on Sunday than were in all the local churches combined.

Which made me think that's exactly where the church should be. Not in the old (quite often neo-Gothic) buildings where they don't want to go, but beside people, in the real world. Being where people are, rather than expecting people to be where the church is.

I know it's idealistic and, given I am called to parish ministry, not easy to do (though, where's there's a will, there's a way!). I also know people will argue that Jesus went to the synagogue to teach. True, but it wasn't just there - he also taught were people were.

So, should the church maybe even occasionally have a service at 11 o'clock on a Sunday morning where people are. To actually have a service at the 'normal' time where people are, not for it to be an add, evening or mid-week service. Yes, there would be opposition (from church as well as non-church people), but I could argue part of the Christian calling is to do the right thing and spread the gospel in the face of opposition. (Oh, good grief, it sounds like I am an evangelist and that is a bit too much of a loaded word for my liking!).

So, there's a challenge for me. And, I would say, the whole Kirk, as it faces the many issues it will have to deal with over the next few years. But as long as God is in all the Kirk does, everything should turn out well.

1 comment:

  1. And Jesus didnt tell the disciples to bring the world to the church He told them to ate the church to the world.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!