Tuesday 13 March 2012

On the phone

Eagleside has a phone ministry and on Sunday a member of the phone ministry team told the congregation about it. (Which in itself I thought was a great idea - how often do churches start new things, which become successful, but they don't think to tell the congregation about it or how it's developing. I know it's maybe not a part of worship, but when is a good time?). The phone ministry is to replace the traditional quarterly elder visiting of members of the congregation, which is especially helpful in a gathered congregation.

As this was a toe in the water (I believe), members of the congregation were invited to sign up for a phone call rather than visit. The take up seems pretty reasonable and feedback good to. I know I would prefer a phone call to a visit - I don't have to tidy the house or feel I have to tidy myself. It also saves time; if the person isn't in (or answering their phone), it's not a wasted journey. The people in the phone ministry team were recruited for their communication skills and given training on phone pastoral care, so the support for them has been good to.

This does not mean to say no visits will take place. People who have signed up for this can ask for a visit or a visit can be suggested to them. It may even be the case a visit is made on the back of the call.

I think this is a great way of offering additional pastoral care to a gathered congregation  (which many are these days). The support to the congregation that visits will still take place has to be there, as does appropriate training and support for those undertaking the ministry.

As a little side bar, I wonder if there are many Christians who have call centre experience who wonder how that skill could be used for the church. They already are great communicators over the phone, so here's a way they could use a skill they didn't even maybe realise they had nor thought would be useful to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!