Friday 16 March 2012

God's knowledge and our free-will

Pre-destination. How does that work? I firmly believe God has a plan for humanity, both collectively and individually. Exactly how that would work, I have no idea. Something I am increasingly inclined to believe is God will not give up until everyone can enter the kingdom of heaven (or can they already...depends on the theology of the death and resurrection of Jesus, but I'm not going to get into that just now).

I can't go with Calvin's idea that whether someone goes to heaven or hell is already determined, it cannot be seen from what they do and there is little that can be done to change their destiny. Doesn't give much room for free-will there. There's also not much insentive to turn a life around for the church nor individuals. If you're doomed, might as well enjoy your self. Actually, either way, might as well enjoy yourself, 'cos what difference will it make?

It's a hard concept getting your head around the ideal or pre-destination. Russell Stannard in "The God Experiment" had an analogy I liked. Imagine a security guard watching the TV screens for the various security cameras in a block of flats. He watches a woman come into the block, get into the life, push the floor button, get out and go to her flat. If he were to re-watch the video, he'd know exactly what the woman was going to do. She's exercised her free-will, but the security guard knows what's she's going to do before she does it.As God is, I believe, on one level out with time and space, that is possible.


Okay, so that gets free-will into the picture, but what about God using people, God acting in people's lives. Well, let me take Stannard's analogy and add to it. The security guard watches the woman enter the block of flats and head for the lifts. But the security guard needs the woman to use the stairs - someone's fallen say (work with me here). How does he make sure they woman expresses her free-will, but still goes/does what he needs her to do? The woman hits the call button for the lift - nothing. She tries again, nothing. Again, still, the lift won't come. So, the woman uses the stairs, finds the person who's fallen and gets them help. All because the lifts didn't seem to be working - perhaps the security guard did that...


Okay, so these are very basic ideas on how pre-destination and free-will can work together. They aren't written by a great theologian (well, they were written by me), but they are helping me work things out. Not so I have the answers, more that I keep looking for questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!