Monday 26 March 2012

Being a teacher for the morning

I was back in School during the week. This was a follow-up from the previous week, bu this time I led the lesson (to a certain extent) while the teacher gave a little assistance (mainly involving telling me the names of the children).

Generally, I felt it went well. The theme was one I know well and I am comfortable enough with largish groups of early primary school children (admittedly in a non-school context). I feel I engaged well with the children - one even gave me a thank you card when I was leaving. I wasn't sure how I should handle discipline, as I didn't want to tread on the teacher's toes, but when I realised that it was my lesson, I soon started keeping the children in check for not listening (mainly to their peers, not me, which in itself was interesting). Their questions were very interesting, challenging in a way young children can be (which is really refreshing as they don't feel they should know anything, if that makes sense) and showed a real engagement with the theme of the lesson. All pretty good for someone who was last in a primary school class when at primary school.

It also shows that despite my concerns and fears I expressed at the beginning of the month were unfounded. My supervisor obviously trusts me to go in his place (as I am as much a reflection on Eagleside as Christianity as a whole) and sees the potential I have. Also, yet again shows that often the idea of something is much worse than the actuality. As someone keeps telling me “God's got your back” and the more I do in this ministry training process, the more I see this.

To think, I once wanted to be a teacher. Although I won't be a school teacher, I am still going to be a teacher. Funny how things work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!