Sunday 7 December 2008

Spooky

Today, I was asked to do the ACTS prayer (adoration, confession, thanksgiving, supplication). It being the second Sunday in advent I knew the teaching of John the Baptist in Mark would almost certainly be one of the bible texts. With that in mind, I thought I'd theme my prayer around us preparing for the coming for Christ.

In my prayer I mentioned we (as individuals and a church) often get so tied up with the present buying, food preparation etc that Christ gets sidelined. I know I try not to do that and make the Christ central to Christmas, but it can be easier said than done.

The sermon was after my prayer and I had no idea what the reader-in-training was going to preach. His theme was preparing for Christ's coming and focusing on that. Also, acknowledging that it can be difficult with presents to buy etc. As he was preaching I was thinking - wow, this service has really come together and with no collaboration!

Spookily enough, this isn't the first time that's happened to me and I know of many people who have been involved in collaborating services that it has happened to. Well, I don't believe in coincidence, so it must have been the Holy Spirit guiding us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!